It’s been a wet rainy season so far and it can be dangerous out there, especially when you have poor balance.
I have 5 tips to help with your balance this rainy season.
- Be Alert: Being alert is one of the surest ways to reduce injuries caused by slips. This includes being aware of your environment, personal safety, and the safety of others.
- Wear Rubber Sole Shoes: Wear shoes that will allow for better traction and prevent a fall. Shoes that have worn, smooth soles should not be worn. Avoid high heals during inclement weather.
- Step over or around puddles: Avoid stepping in what appear to be small puddles or wet patches in parking lots. These sometimes conceal a larger pothole or crack which can cause a fall.
- Use Hand Rails: Always use the handrail when going up or down stairs. Even if you feel you don’t need it, a tumble down the stairs usually results in serious injury, and anyone can miss a step.
- Careful of sharp turns: Be extra vigilant when entering and exiting buildings and places that have dim lights. This is where people wipe their feet and shake off their umbrellas. It is where very slick conditions are most likely to exist. Often there will be rubber mats at entryways, but be cautious for rubber mats not laying flat upon the floor. These are trip hazards.
Take caution during these rainy times and enjoy your winter!
If you need more balance tips, check out my FREE report on the “The 9 Simple Ways To Improve Your Balance And Prevent Another Fall…without relying on a walker, cane or a loved one for support!”
Click the button above and put in your details to receive it immediately by email or call 909-907-0805 and request your copy today!
Latest posts by Dr. Carlo L. Sayo, DPT, OCS (see all)
- Back Pain & Sciatica: Do I Need an Injection? - January 21, 2020
- Back Pain: The Safest Way to Relieve Low Back Pain! And The #1 Biggest Mistake Back Pain Sufferers Make - January 10, 2020
- Is Knee Pain Slowing You Down? - October 17, 2019