If you’re having pain and burning in your hip going all the way down the leg, if you sit for too long, you might have what’s called sciatica. Today, we’re going to talk about how to sit properly in order to avoid that kind of pain. Sitting pain is one of the most common symptoms when it comes to sciatica. So, if you can sit properly, that can take a lot of that pressure off your back and your hip, and, hopefully, avoid those kind of pains. Here are some tips that may help while sitting at a desk:
1. Sit all the way in the back of that chair. Once your hip is all the way back against the chair, make sure that your legs are parallel to the ground. You want the chair just high enough so your legs are parallel to the ground and your feet are flat on the ground.
2. Place a back support or a towel, behind you. Lean forward and place it right behind your back, right above the waist, and then sit back.
3. Get closer to your desk with your elbows in and shoulders back. Doing this puts your back and hips in a better position, and you’re less likely to have pressure, which can cause that sciatic pain.
Check out the video that demonstrates this position or subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more information on sciatica.
Latest posts by Dr. Carlo L. Sayo, DPT, OCS (see all)
- Easing Everyday Stiffness: What Your Body Wants You To Do! - May 30, 2019
- Posture Tips: How To Ease Aches And Pains At Work - April 25, 2019
- The One Thing You Should Do Each Day To Feel Healthier And Happier - February 19, 2019